Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Power of Bjork

Ok, so I've been having a difficult couple of days with the kids.  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, but anybody who has children will understand that love them all you might, kids can be very, VERY difficult.

Well, as Julie and Sara are preparing to bring the kids to the beach for the week, it was my job to take Dayton, my soon-to-be-4-year-old, to school. You would think this would be an easy task, but not when she's already assigned the task to Sara. This means that leaving with her entailed 2 fully separate temper tantrums and half of a car ride of screaming and crying. Which of course carried over into her 1-year-old sister, who of course is willing to cry just because somebody else is crying.

Often, car rides are filled with either Diego the Animal Rescuer, Laurie Berkner, the Sound of Music, or some other kid-friendly music. But today, I decided that the screaming was enough, and I just wanted something that I might enjoy listening to.

While Bjork may not always be my first choice, I do enjoy Bjork. And, it being Sara's car that I was taking, it's not like I had one of my primary choices immediately at hand. So Bjork it was.

Little did I know how ingenious of a decision this was! Once Dayton and Saunder piped down enough to actually hear the music, and I started getting some sanity back, I heard Dayton pipe up with a quick little question: "What is she singing about?"

Now, I do really like Bjork. But you've gotta admit. You don't know what in the heck she's saying any more than I do. Part of her appeal is the fact that she's a bit of a lunatic and she's almost totally incomprehensible.

What made this great was, it not only distracted the kids enough through their confusion, but it allowed me to answer pretty much any way that I wanted. I got to start making it up for every song. I even got to include a nice little lesson about how big girls go to the potty and don't wear diapers any more. It was fantastic! I'm making a mental note that, from now on, I'm listening to more artists with unintelligible lyrics. Maybe I'll be able to give some messages about sleeping in your own room and learning to share...

No comments: